With the enhancement in technology, there is no time to wait. As long as the speed of the Computer (Desktop PC or laptop) is concerned, it can be boosted up by performing some small tweaks. In this post I’m going to explain the tweaks to be done in Windows based computers (Win 7 particularly) for enhancing the speed of operation.
It’s time to get rid of the unused data – The Disk Clean Up Wizard
In this process the wizard identifies the unwanted, unused data which are safe to delete. The steps to be followed are as follows:
– Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, then click Disk Cleanup. If several drives are available, you might be prompted to specify which drive you want to clean.
– When Disk Cleanup has calculated how much space you can free, in the Disk Cleanup for dialog box, scroll through the content of the Files to delete list.
– Clear the check boxes for files that you don’t want to delete, and then click OK.
[For more options, such as cleaning up System Restore and Shadow copy files, under Description, click Clean up system files, then click the More Options tab.]
– When prompted to confirm that you want to delete the specified files, click Yes.
After a few minutes, the process completes and the Disk Cleanup dialog box closes, leaving your computer cleaner and performing better.
Be Clean and systematic – Disk Defragment
There is an indicator which shows the time of running Disk Defragment. The indicator glows in the cases given below:
– You add a large number of files.
– Your free disk space totals 15 percent or less.
– You install new programs or a new version of Windows.
The steps to be followed are:
– Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools and then click Disk Defragmenter.
– In the Disk Defragmenter dialog box, click the drives that you want to defragment, and then click the Analyze button. After the disk is analyzed, a dialog box appears, letting you know whether you should defragment the analyzed drives.
– To defragment the selected drive or drives, click the Defragment disk button. In the Current status area, under the Progress column, you can monitor the process as it happens. After the defragmentation is complete, Disk Defragmenter displays the results.
– To display detailed information about the defragmented disk or partition, click View Report.
– To close the View Report dialog box, click Close.
– You can also schedule the Disk Defragmenter to run automatically, and your computer might be set up this way by default.
– To close the Disk Defragmenter utility, click the Close button on the title bar of the window.
Errors! Check’em with Error Checking Utility
1. Close all open files.
2. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
3. In the My Computer window, right-click the hard disk you want to search for bad sectors, and then click Properties.
4. In the Properties dialog box, click the Tools tab.
5. Click the Check Now button.
6. In the Check Disk dialog box select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
7. If bad sectors are found, choose to fix them.
Learn all about ReadyBoost
If you’re using Windows 7, you can use ReadyBoost to speed up your system. A new concept in adding memory to a system, it allows you to use nonvolatile flash memory — like a USB flash drive or a memory card — to improve performance without having to add memory.
Hope this little tutorial helped you in speeding up your Windows powered computer. Let us hear your experince. 🙂