Computers are built to be professional, reliable machines to help people carry out their work more efficiently and quickly. But there are times when computers crash and result in data loss and system hangs. Your computer may hang; display funny error messages, or even worse, no longer work at all. For average computer users, troubleshooting problems can be a challenge. But if you know how to fix a computer, you can save hundreds or even thousands of dollars in PC repair jobs, professional fees, and even going so far as to buy a new one.
These computer troubleshooting tips if applied carefully can save your day and can make you look like a genius geek. So here they are:
The most common top 10 computer issues and the tips to troubleshoot and fix those problems are as follows:
1) The computer is unable to start up – If the computer does not turn on when you press the power button, the following suggestions may help you to determine why the computer will not start up. First of all, check if the computer is plugged in to an AC outlet properly. Plug another electrical device into the outlet to be sure that the outlet is providing adequate power.
2) The computer screen is blank – If the screen is blank, the computer may not be set to display the image on the computer screen. First, check if the monitor is plugged in to a power outlet and is connected to the computer securely and make sure the monitor power button is on. If the power light is not on, it means that the outlet is not delivering power to the monitor. Fixing the power outlet in such cases should help you.
3) Trouble with video card – If the power light of the computer and monitor is on and nothing comes up on the screen when you start your computer then there must be something wrong with video card. You should take your computer to a repair shop or change its video or the graphics card with a new one.
4) OS or some Software is functioning abnormally – If the Operating System (OS) or some other software is unresponsive or responds abnormally, follow these tips. Restart your computer and run a virus scan. For this purpose you should have a reliable antivirus software installed on the computer to fix this issue.
5) Windows do not boot properly – If windows do not boot properly then you should reinstall windows with the windows recovery disk. Most of the times, this should help you get rid of the problem.
6) The computer is on but not responding – If the computer is turned on but not responding to software or keyboard commands, then it must be frozen or halted. Press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds, it will be turn off. Now restart your computer. This should fix things up.
7) An external device is not working – If an external device does not function as expected, turn it on according to Manufacturers instruction; be sure that all device connections are secure and receiving electrical power and compatible with the operating system. And that the correct drivers are installed and updated.
8 ) Slow working computer – You can improve your computer working performance by cleaning hard disk of unwanted files. Also make sure that you run the disk utility, get rid of unneeded icons on your desktop, install a firewall, install antivirus and Anti spyware tools, schedule regular registry scans.
9) Slow working internet – To increase your browser performance, you must frequently clear cookies and internet temporary files. In the Windows search bar type – %temp% and hit enter to open the temporary files folder. You can use Ctrl+A to select all of them and then press Delete. Please note that some of the files may not get deleted if they are being used by the OS; but that is fine.
10) Internet network problem – If your computer can not get connected to internet then check IP address, check network cables are connected properly, make sure that servers or gateways firewall application is not blocking http requests from your PC.